All of the services described below are performed in confidence and we are happy to sign non-disclosure agreements as needed.
SDLC Selection and Implementation
Having the right Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) process is critical in building, buying and delivering quality software. Without this framework, there is nothing to hold all the other activities together.
I have developed and taught a major training course on IEEE 12207, the primary standard for software development life cycle processes. I have consulted with organizations to find the most workable SDLC, and I have also developed custom SDLCs for organizations with unique requirements.
Whether you are looking for agile approaches or something more structured, I can help you get the right SDLC in place and working!
Do you feel that you need an independent and unbiased assessment of your organization’s current testing practices? Sometimes you feel that you may know the right direction for improvement, but need an external view. Other times, you just need fresh ideas and objective feedback.
Our assessment include interviews with key staff at all levels in your organization including testers, test managers, developers, QA team, project managers, business units and senior managers, along with observations of how you actually perform tests, and a review of your existing test documentation. The goals of the assessment are:
- to build upon the strengths of your current processes and practices
- to pinpoint areas of potential test process and organizational improvement
- to align test improvement efforts with your organization’s long term strategic goals
- to produce a meaningful report which coveys details of how to show rapid improvement while sustaining long-term improvement goals
- to help secure senior management support by getting the objective recommendations of a credible testing authority
Just two or three minor changes in test practices can result in tremendous overall improvements to your testing efforts.
Everyone can profit from an independent review of documents. Randy has personally reviewed many test plans, requirements documents, use case documents, etc. He can do the same for you by reviewing document content and identify gaps and strengths. If you need help with document formatting, Randy can provide a variety of templates you can customize and use quickly. In the event you need additional training, Rice Consulting has a variety of courses in test planning, requirements documentation and use case design. We can also train your staff in how to perform reviews and walkthroughs.
Test Tool Searches
We have extensive experience with test tools of all types and can help find the right tool match for your organization. In addition, we can provide a buffer between you and the vendor to protect you from excessive contact. Using our tried and proven test tool evaluation process, we can save you time and money by screening the most applicable tools on the market and providing you with the finalists for your consideration. You always remain in control of the process - we do the legwork for you!
Plus...we can also provide strategic tool guidance that can also save time and money.
Test Tool Implementation and Integration
Finding and buying a test tools is just the tip of the iceberg. The hard part comes when you deploy the tool in your organization. We can help by:
- Consulting in process re-design to accommodate test tools
- Training your team in basic test automation concepts
- Mentoring your team on an ongoing basis to sustain the tool implementation effort
- Helping secure management support to sustain the too implementation effort
Optimizing Your Testing Efforts
We often hear people say "We do a lot of testing, but our customers still find bugs!" Our response is, "What is a 'lot' of testing? Time? People? Test cases?" It's not how much testing you do, but how effective is your testing? Often, more is not better!
Here's the good news: It's not uncommon at all for an assessment and subsequent improvements to increase efficiency and effectiveness by 20% or more! What could your test team do with 20% more time?
We do this by:
- Eliminating redundancy in the testing processes
- Getting people (developers, testers, users, etc.) to perform their respective testing at the right time in the right way
- Adding tools in the right places for the right purposes
- Achieving reuse of test cases and scripts
- Leveraging the tester to developer ratio
Adding Value to Your Testing Efforts
In this economy of outsourcing, you need to be able to show clear and tangible ways to add value to your organization in addition to testing. We help you add value by:
- Building your team's communication skills
- Showing how your team can perform other quality-related tasks besides just testing
- How to write meaningful and persuasive test reports that can be an asset to developers and management
- Helping you identify your team members' passions in their jobs and plug people into those areas
- Building your team's skills in the areas that support your organization's goals
- Learning where your team's strengths and weaknesses are, and knowing where best to focus your efforts
- Showing how to build and sustain your team's credibility in your organization
Motivational Management Briefings
Sustained motivation is an individual thing that doesn't happen from the outside. However, we can address senior management in a way that is credible and engaging to build a business case for your testing and software quality efforts. We can say the things you may be afraid to say to your management in a way that is positive and yet challenging.