Note: The exam for this course and syllabus will be available until June 1, 2019. Our 2018 version of the course has been accredited by ASTQB and is available now for live presentations. the e-Learning version of the 2018 syllabus version is under development.
This 2011 syllabus course is available in both online and in-house (live) formats.
To schedule a presentation in your company, contact us for details.
"Just wanted to let you know I took the CTFL exam on Friday and got a 95%! Thanks for your online training course and for answering questions as they came up!"
This is a course designed for people seeking foundation level certification based on the ISTQB certification program. This course completely covers the most current ISTQB syllabus (2011 version) and also provides additional information and guidance in key areas. The terms used in this course are taken from the current ISTQB glossary. This course is offered in both live and e-learning formats.
This is suitable for people just getting into the field of software testing, seeking the ISTQB Foundation Level certification (CTFL) or for people who just need a refresher course or validation for their current testing techniques.
This is a practical course to cover the critical path of testing. Your instructor will be Randy Rice, a recognized authority in the QA and testing field. You will learn the terminology, process, and challenges of testing in the real world. As a result of attending this seminar, you should have a good working knowledge of software testing and what it takes to design and conduct an effective test of software, regardless of the technology.
This course will not only help you prepare for certification, but also help you become more comfortable and confident in testing software applications at just about any level of detail: unit, integration, system, and user acceptance. You will emerge from this course knowing how to develop test cases and test plans. You will also leave with the knowledge of how tools can help you perform testing.
Sometimes people feel intimidated by the technical aspects of software testing and lack the confidence they need to be credible test leaders in their organization. Learn the issues and processes for effectively testing software by attending this informative and comprehensive course.
Return on Investment
Prepare for the ISTQB foundation level certification exam (CTFL)
Understand the key issues in testing software applications.
Learn how to design tests that adequately cover requirements and business events.
Learn from an industry recognized expert in software testing and quality
Advance your career by reinforcing your testing expertise.
Who Will Benefit
Test managers and leaders
The program requires only basic IT knowledge or experience. Testing knowledge or experience is not a pre-requisite.
The online course registration now includes the one electronic exam voucher per student! You can take the ISTQB Foundation Level exam at Kryterion testing centers worldwide.
Module 1 - Fundamentals of Testing
- Why Is Testing Necessary?
- Software Systems Context
- Causes Of Software Defects
- Role Of Testing In Software Development, Maintenance And Operations
- Testing And Quality
- How Much Testing Is Enough?
- What Is Testing?
- General Testing Principles
- Fundamental Test Process
- Test Planning And Control
- Test Analysis And Design
- Test Implementation And Execution
- Evaluating Exit Criteria And Reporting
- Test Closure Activities
- The Psychology Of Testing
Module 2 - Testing Throughout The Software Life Cycle
- Software Development Models
- Iterative Development Models
- Testing Within A Life Cycle Model
- Test Levels
- Component Testing
- Integration Testing
- System Testing
- Acceptance Testing
- Test Types: The Targets Of Testing Maintenance Testing
- Testing Of Function (Functional Testing)
- Testing Of Software Product Characteristics (Non-Functional Testing)
- Testing Of Software Structure/Architecture (Structural Testing)
- Testing Related To Changes (Confirmation And Regression Testing)
Module 3 - Static Techniques
- Reviews And The Test Process
- Review ProcessSuccess Factors For ReviewsStatic Analysis By Tools
- Phases Of A Formal Review
- Roles And Responsibilities
- Types Of Review
Module 4 - Test Design Techniques
- Identifying Test Conditions And Designing Test Cases
- Categories Of Test Design Techniques
- Specification-Based Or Black-Box TechniquesStructure-Based Or White-Box TechniquesStatement Testing And Coverage
- Equivalence Partitioning
- Boundary Value Analysis
- Decision Table Testing
- State Transition Testing
- Use Case Testing
- Decision Testing And Coverage
- Other Structure-Based Techniques
- Experience-Based Techniques
- Choosing Test Techniques
Module 5 - Test Management
- Test Organization And Independence
- Tasks Of The Test Leader And Tester
- Test Planning And Estimation
- Test Planning
- Test Planning Activities
- Exit Criteria
- Test Estimation
- Test Approaches (Test Strategies)
- Test Progress Monitoring And ControlConfiguration Management
- Test Progress Monitoring
- Test Reporting
- Test Control
- Risk And TestingIncident Management
- Project Risks
- Product Risks
Module 6 - Tool Support For Testing
- Types Of Test Tools
- Test Tool ClassificationEffective Use Of Tools: Potential Benefits And RisksPotential Benefits And Risks Of Tool Support For Testing (For All Tools)
- Tool Support For Management Of Testing And Tests
- Tool Support For Static Testing
- Tool Support For Test Specification
- Tool Support For Test Execution And Logging
- Tool Support For Performance And Monitoring
- Tool Support For Specific Application Areas
- Tool Support Using Other Tools
- Special Considerations For Some Types Of Tools
- Introducing A Tool Into An Organization
Review & Practice Exam (2 Hrs.)
Actual Certification Exam (If desired for live courses) (1 Hr.)
- Course notebook with slides, worksheets, checklists, complete examples and supporting text
- You will have the basic information needed to sit for the ISTQB Foundation Level Certification exam.