3 days (4-day version recommended)
Note: The 2018 changes are substantial. The 2011 exam and courses are available until May 30, 2019. Be sure that the materials you use are in sync with the desired syllabus version.
This course is available as in-house (live) training. The E-learning version is now available!
To schedule a presentation in your company, contact us for details.
"Just wanted to let you know I took the CTFL exam on Friday and got a 95%! Thanks for your online training course and for answering questions as they came up!"
This is a course designed for people seeking foundation level certification based on the ISTQB certification program. This course completely covers the most current ISTQB syllabus (2018 version) and also provides additional information and guidance in key areas. The terms used in this course are taken from the current ISTQB glossary. This course is offered in both live and e-learning formats.
This is suitable for people just getting into the field of software testing, seeking the ISTQB Foundation Level certification (CTFL) or for people who just need a refresher course or validation for their current testing techniques.
This is a practical course to cover the critical path of testing. Your instructor will be Randy Rice, a recognized authority in the QA and testing field. You will learn the terminology, process, and challenges of testing in the real world. As a result of attending this seminar, you should have a good working knowledge of software testing and what it takes to design and conduct an effective test of software, regardless of the technology.
This course will not only help you prepare for certification, but also help you become more comfortable and confident in testing software applications at just about any level of detail: unit, integration, system, and user acceptance. You will emerge from this course knowing how to develop test cases and test plans. You will also leave with the knowledge of how tools can help you perform testing.
Sometimes people feel intimidated by the technical aspects of software testing and lack the confidence they need to be credible test leaders in their organization. Learn the issues and processes for effectively testing software by attending this informative and comprehensive course.
Return on Investment
Prepare for the ISTQB foundation level certification exam (CTFL)
Understand the key issues in testing software applications.
Learn how to design tests that adequately cover requirements and business events.
Learn from an industry recognized expert in software testing and quality
Advance your career by reinforcing your testing expertise.
Who Will Benefit
Test managers and leaders
The program requires only basic IT knowledge or experience. Testing knowledge or experience is not a pre-requisite.
Module FNDA - Fundamentals of Testing (3 Hrs.)
- What Is Testing?
- Why Is Testing Necessary?
- Causes Of Software Defects
- Role Of Testing In Software Development, Maintenance And Operations
- Testing And Quality
- How Much Testing Is Enough?
- Errors, Defects and Failures
- Defects, Root Causes and Effects
- General Testing Principles
- Fundamental Test ProcessTest Process in Context
- Test Activities and Tasks
- Test Work Products
- The Psychology Of Testing
Module FNDB - Testing Throughout The Software Life Cycle (2.25 hrs.)
- Software Development Models
- Sequential, Iterative and Incremental Development Models
- Testing Within A Life Cycle Model
- Test Levels
- Component Testing
- Integration Testing
- System Testing
- Acceptance Testing
- Test Types: The Targets Of Testing
- Functional Testing
- Non-functional Testing
- White-box Testing (Structural Testing)
- Testing Related To Changes (Confirmation And Regression Testing)
- Maintenance Testing
Module FNDC - Static Techniques (2.25 hr.)
- Reviews And The Test Process
- Review Process
- Phases Of A Formal Review
- Roles And Responsibilities
- Types Of Reviews
- Success Factors For Reviews
FNDD - Test Design Techniques (5.5 hrs.)
- Identifying Test Conditions And Designing Test Cases
- Categories Of Test Design Techniques
- Specification-Based Or Black-Box Techniques
- Equivalence Partitioning
- Boundary Value Analysis
- Decision Table Testing
- State Transition Testing
- Use Case Testing
- Structure-Based Or White-Box Techniques
- Statement Testing And Coverage
- Decision Testing And Coverage
- Experience-Based Techniques
- Specification-Based Or Black-Box Techniques
Module FNDE - Test Management (3.75 hrs.)
- Test Organization
- Test Organization And Independence
- Tasks Of The Test Leader And Tester
- Test Planning And Estimation
- Purpose and Content of a Test Plan
- Test Strategy and Test Approach
- Entry and Exit Criteria
- Test Execution Schedule
- Factors Influencing the Test Effort
- Test Estimation Techniques
- Test Progress Monitoring And Control
- Metrics Used in Testing
- Purposes, Contents and Audiences for Test Reports
- Configuration Management
- Risk And Testing
- Definition of Risk
- Product and Project Risks
- Risk-based Testing and Product Quality
- Defect Management
Module FNDG - Tool Support For Testing (1 hr.)
- Test Tool Considerations
- Test Tool Classification
- Benefits and Risks of Test Automation
- Special Considerations for Test Execution and Test Management Tools
- Effective Use Of Tools
- Main Principles for Tool Selection
- Pilot Projects for Introducing a Tool into an Organization
- Success Factors for Tools
Review & Practice Exam (2 Hrs.)
Actual Certification Exam (If desired) (1 Hr.)
- Course notebook with slides, worksheets, checklists, complete examples and supporting text
- You will have the basic information needed to sit for the ISTQB Foundation Level Certification exam.