Buy it Today!
Randy's book, Surviving the Top Ten Challenges of Software
Testing, will help you solve some of your toughest testing problems: people problems!
Click on the image to buy it from bn.com.
in Software Testing
Add to cart
"Excellent Course!" - Scott Groff
"I will be able to put this information to good use, and very entertaining!"
This is a quick start course in software testing for people just getting into the field, or for people who just need a refresher course or validation for their current testing techniques. This is a practical hands-on seminar to cover the critical path of testing. Your instructor will be a certified instructor in the QA and testing field. You will learn the terminology, process, and challenges of testing in the real world. As a result of attending this seminar, you should have a good working knowledge of software testing and what it takes to design and conduct an effective test of software, regardless of the technology.
Basic Training in Software Testing will help you become more comfortable and confident in testing software applications at just about any level of detail: unit, integration, system, and user acceptance. You will emerge from this one-day session knowing how to develop test cases and test plans. You will also leave with a knowledge of how tools can help you perform testing.
Sometimes people feel intimidated by the technical aspects of software testing and lack the confidence they need to be credible test leaders in their organization. Learn the issues and processes for effectively testing software by attending this hands-on course.
Return on Investment
- Learn how to find costly and embarrassing problems before your customers find them.
- Understand the key issues in testing software applications.
- Learn how to design tests that adequately cover requirements and business events.
- Get the most out of your existing investment in testing and how to leverage that investment.
- Advance your career by reinforcing your testing expertise.
Who Will Benefit
- Test analysts
- Web developers
- Mainframe and client/server developers making the transition to web development.
The program requires only basic IT knowledge or experience. Testing knowledge or experience is not a pre-requisite.
This course is presented on an in-house basis only unless offered as a special public course.
Contact us for information about how to bring this course into your organization.
Content and Structure
Module 1 - Surviving
The Top 10 Challenges of Software Testing
- The Top 10 Challenges
- Solutions to Each Challenge
Module 2 - Terminology
The Deming Workbench Model
Software Life Cycle
Module 3 - The Economics of Testing
- Where Defects Originate
- Where Testing Resources are Used
- The Relative Cost of Fixing Defects
Module 4 - Basic Test Planning
Basic Testing Principles
The Basic Testing Process
What is a Test Strategy?
The Components and Format of a Test Strategy
Identifying Critical Success Factors
Defining Test Objectives
The Components and Format of a System-level Test Plan
Major Elements of a Test Plan
How Much Time Should be Spent on Test Planning?
Planning Time Guidelines
Tips for Test Planning
Module 5 - The Test Planning Process
- Key Test Planning Components
- Major Test Planning Tasks
- Critical Success Factors
- Defining Test Objectives
- Identifying Needed Test Resources
the Test Procedures
Functions To Be Tested
Interfaces With Other Systems or Components
- Writing Test Scripts
- Defining Test Cases
- Designing Test Data
- Determining Test Schedules
Module 6 - Test Case Development
Key Test Planning Components
How to Document Test Cases
Types of Test Cases
- Ways to Design Functional Test Cases
Boundary Value Analysis
Transaction Threads Based on Business Scenarios
- What is a Test
- Why Use Test
- Use Case
- Structural Test Cases - Logic-based
- Structural Test Coverage Levels
- Structural Test Cases - Behavioral
- Regression Test Cases
Module 7 - Test Execution Strategies
- Risks of Not Automating Testing
- Risks of Automating Testing
- Where Do Tools Fit In?
- The Major Issues
- “Top 10” Test Tools
- Critical Success Factors
- Test Execution - Manual Methods
- Test Folders
- Test/Function Matrix
- Building the Test Environment
- How to Create and Maintain Test Data
- The Process for Configuration/Release Management
- Pitfalls to Avoid
Module 8 - Regression Testing
What is Regression Testing?
- No Regression Testing: Hidden Defects
- Regression Testing: No Hidden Defects
- Regression Testing - The Process
- Regression Testing - What’s Needed?
- Regression Testing Issues
- Regression Testing - How Much is Enough?
- Tips for Performing Regression Testing
Module 9 - Test Evaluation and Reporting
Prerequisites for Test Evaluation
- Test Evaluation and Reporting Process
- Test Reporting Attributes
- Types of Test Reporting
- Status Reports
- Final Report
System Test Evaluation - Defect Reporting
- Defect Tracking Tools
- The Role of the Defect Administrator
The Defect Life Cycle
Defect Tracking - Things You Need to Know
Sample Defect Categories
Sample Defect Priorities
- Status Reporting
Test Summary Report
How Can This Data be Used?
- Checklists and Templates
- Course notebook with slides, worksheets, checklists, complete examples and supporting text
- You will have the basic information needed to plan and execute an effective test of a software application.
To be announced
Online Course - Unit Testing
Online Course - Gathering, Documenting and Testing User Requirements!
New Course Series - IEEE Standards
Join Our Free Newsletter
"Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile." -- Vince Lombardi